Cut Study Abroad Costs in Half with Direct Enrollment Abroad

Affordable Study Abroad - Direct Enrollment


Direct enrollment in affordable programs abroad – it’s what most international students do. U.S. students can do it too.

Direct Enrollment Abroad

In contrast to most American students, large numbers of foreign students from all over the world enroll directly info affordable (and sometimes downright cheap!) programs abroad.The lesser cost allows them to study abroad multiple times, which is not uncommon, and allows them to spend more time studying abroad, which has proven benefits, particularly with regard to understanding foreign cultures, developing an enhanced degree of cultural understanding, and developing effective foreign language skills – all of which they know they need to have in order to compete successfully in their home country job markets.

US Students Can Do It Too

Fortunately, the types of programs that they participate in are open to all international students, including American students. U.S. students, therefore, can enroll in these same programs abroad, gain international experience, broaden their horizons, develop effective foreign language skills, and have a great time – all at a “discounted” price. Considering that the lower cost (relative to traditional U.S. sponsored study abroad programs) of many of the international can mean the difference between actually having a study abroad experience or not being able to afford one at all, direct enrollment abroad should be seriously considered by those who cannot afford the cost of more expensive study abroad programs.

Direct Enrollment Abroad – Into What?

The types of programs abroad into which most foreign students enroll directly include:
  • in-country language schools
  • foreign university language immersion programs
  • guest-student (or visiting-student) programs at foreign universities
  • direct enrollment into a degree-seeking program at a foreign university
(See Study Abroad Alternatives to learn a bit more about affordable study abroad alternatives.)

How Is Direct Enrollment Abroad Different From Traditional Study Abroad?

In many cases, the learning experience is not different at all. This is particularly true for foreign language immersion programs at in-country language schools and at foreign universities. Many of the “host institutions” that provide the facilities, classes, and teachers to U.S.-sponsored study abroad programs also offer special programs for international students – and again, students from all over the world (including U.S. students) are welcome to enroll in these programs.

What Are the General Requirements For Direct Enrollment Abroad?

No minimum GPA is required for direct enrollment into:* immersion programs offered by in-country language schools* immersion language programs offered by foreign universitiesThe purpose of these programs is, among others, to promote the host country’s language and culture to foreign students, teens, and adults. Enrollment, therefore, is not restricted to those with a defined minimum GPA.(This doesn’t mean that you can be a slacker when you participate in one of these programs abroad, however – you still have to attend 90% of the classes during your study abroad program to obtain a Certificate of Attendance and you will have to take a final exam and achieve the required passing grade in order to receive a Course Diploma or similar document.)
A minimum GPA may be required for:* Programs that allow a student in a language immersion program to also take regular university classes (though generally the main requirement will be minimum level of competency in the language of instruction).
* Visting or Guest Student programs in which the visting student enrolls at regular classes at the university
A minimum GPA will be required for required for:* Direct enrollment in a foreign university
No minimum language requirement for immersion language programs at in-country language schools and foreign university immersion language programs.In-country language schools and immersion language programs at foreign universities have courses for absolute beginners, so no knowledge of the language is required to enroll into them.If you wish to enroll in a program taught entirely in the language of the host country, such as Spanish Studies, or French Studies, which cover History, Literature, Art History, and related topics, you will be required to have a high-intermediate to advanced knowledge of the language of instruction.
Most in-country language schools require only a formal application/enrollment form. Personal essays are generally not required.Proof of good academic standing is generally not required.High school diploma / matriculated status – Some foreign university language programs require that you provide a copy of your high-school diploma (or equivalent document that allows you to study at the college level) . Other foreign university programs require proof that you are a matriculated student at home in the U.S.
Generally, for the most popular countries that U.S. students visit when they study abroad, U.S. students can enter for 3 months without a visa. For stays longer than 3 months, U.S. student will require a visa. The requirements for a visa are generally the same for direct enrollment abroad as they are for study abroad via traditional study abroad program.Note, however, that certain universities may require you to be in possession of a student or similar visa in order to register in a university program even if you plan to study abroad for less than three months.It is important that you check with the nearest consulate of the country where wish to study abroad and that you obtain a current and complete list of visa requirements.Keep in mind that some of the schools and programs abroad may be able to assist you with visas.