Spanish Language and Culture in Barcelona, Spain
|Spanish Language Course
|University of Barcelona
|Fall (September to December)
| € 1,501 / * tuition, semester
€ 556 / * per elective Spanish course
|€ 800 / * per month, university residence hall
[** Note that the University of Barcelona does not offer placement in student apartments. Student apartments are the most affordable housing option and can save you hundreds of dollars per month (you save thousands of dollars over semester and academic year programs).]
|Language of Instruction:
|Open Enrollment, anybody can participate, direct enrollment. No min GPA required, must have high school diploma. You do not have to be a college student to enroll in this Spanish program. You do not have to participate in a US study abroad program to enroll in this Spanish program. Minimum age 18.
* Euro equivalent in dollars based on current exchange rate
COURSE DESCRIPTION – Semester-Long Spanish Language Course, Fall Semester
The Semester-Long Spanish Language course at the University of Barcelona consists of 110 class-hours of Spanish language. The Spanish language classes are held mornings for 2 class-hours, Monday to Thursday and count for 14 ECTS (European) credits. The course is offered on all levels, from beginner Spanish to advanced Spanish. In the classes, work on grammar points is closely associated with language practice, in a communicative, dynamic, flexible framework.
In addition to the Spanish courses listed under Semester-Long Spanish Language Course, students can select additional Spanish courses from the Spanish Culture Courses offered as well as the Business, Communication and Society Courses offered. The Business, Communication and Society courses are held in English. Participants pay an extra fee for each elective course. Students who enroll in more than one course will receive a discount of 10% on all courses of an equal or inferior length or cost. (This discount is not retroactive and cannot be applied to fees already paid.)
The Spanish courses are offered on all levels. (A1 (Beginner), A2 (Pre-Intermediate), B1 (Intermediate), B2 (Advanced), C1 (Advanced High.))
SPANISH AND SPANISH CULTURE COURSES OFFERED
- Oral Spanish in everyday situations
- Spanish Listening Comprehension
- Spanish conversation and pronunciation
- Understanding and Writing in Spanish
- Art in Spain, from the Mosque of Cordoba and the Cathedral of Santiago to Gaudi, Picasso and Dali I
- Barcelona, creative and cultural city Barcelona, creative and cultural city
- Barcelona, the meeting of Spanish and Hispanic literature
- Catalonia, language, culture and society
- Contemporary Spain: geography, society and institutions
- Spain and Europe, origin and evolution
- Spanish cinema
BUSINESS, COMMUNICATION AND SOCIETY COURSES OFFERED (in English)
- Barcelona, Mediterranean Metropolis
- Consumer Behavior
- Corporate Finance
- Critical skills for managers of the future
- International Business and Management
- International Financial Management
- International Marketing
- International Operations Management
- New Topics on Spanish Media
- Spanish Politics
- Sustainable Business Management
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE?
Open enrollment, anybody can participate, direct enrollment. The Spanish program at the University of Barcelona is open to teens, students, and adults. You do not have to be a college student to enroll in this Spanish program. You do not have to participate in a US university study abroad program to enroll in this Spanish program. Minimum age 18.
Hispanic Studies (Estudios Hispanicos) is a University of Barcelona institution that has focused on teaching Spanish language and culture to international students for over sixty years. During the academic year Estudios Hispanicos has, for over 70 years, organized Spanish courses aimed at foreigners interested in gaining more in-depth knowledge of the Spanish language, Spanish art, Spanish cinema, Spanish politics, Spanish institutions, Spanish creative industries (with BARCELONA as a backdrop) of communication, or reinforce your knowledge in speaking and writing in Spanish and also, the specific courses of economy and society taught in English. All the Spanish and other courses have specialized teachers. In Summer we offer a course on Barcelona through its history and culture. Different cultural visits are made to emblematic places (Cathedral, Santa Maria del Mar, Barrio de la Ribera, Parliament of Catalonia, etc.) with specialized teachers.
Activities: Cultural visits are offered in conjunction with the summer Spanish courses.
Housing: University residence halls, affiliated residence halls, and private residence halls. Participants can find accommodation at the University of Barcelona residence halls, affiliated, and private residence halls on the Accommodation page listed below. [** Note that the University of Barcelona does not offer placement in student apartments, which are the most affordable housing option and can save you hundreds or thousands of dollars over the course of your program.]
HOW TO ENROLL
- Go to the registration page for the University of Barcelona’s Estudios Hispanicos department.
- Choose the term you want to study in the drop down list
- Choose the type of Spanish course you want (for example, Face-to-face Spanish language)
- Click the Check Box at the bottom right of the Spanish course you want (if you click on the description of the course, a detailed page describing the Spanish course will appear)
- Click Enroll at the top of the page and complete your online application